Thursday, March 22, 2012

How my faith helped me with my chronic illness


(This is an excerpt from my book “OUT OF THE FIBRO FOG” which will be out later this year.)

I have been blessed with a strong faith in God that has helped me through my long illness.  I have had Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue since 1975.  This illness is one that is very hard because others can’t see it and question you all the time.  I have found that there are those who can see in my eyes the pain I was in and understood, but in general most people don’t understand.  I have been supported by my wife how loves me and knows that I would not just quit working and take to a bed if I didn’t have to.  Both my, now adult sons, suffer with fibromyalgia as well.  They have also been supportive and helped in any way that they could, especially our youngest son, who has always lived near us. He has taking me to doctor’s appointments and helping with thing around the house that I could not do.

It’s really hard when family and friends don’t understand and are not willing to help in any way.  Depression is a big part of any chronic illness and when you are ignored by those you need most it hurts in many ways.  I have to admit when the pain got overwhelming I did consider ending my life several times, but my faith in God and my love for my family keep me going.  I have chatted with lots of others over the years encouraging them, even when I didn’t have any hope of feeling better.  I have had over a dozen people tell me that just being there for them keep them from taking their lives.

I have seen the ugly side of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue over the years.  I lived on morphine for many years because of the intense pain.  I never understood why God allowed me to go through this illness till last year.  I now believe that he allowed me to suffer so that I could understand what others have to go through.  

I created this blog because I saw a way that might help me overcome my disease.  I wanted to let my fibro friends see what life was like before I started this treatment and all along the way.  
God spoke to my heart and told me that this treatment would work.  I waited till my wife was ready for us to do this together.  She had become sure that nothing would work for me and was concerned that the money would be wasted.  I just prayed that if this was what we were to do she would have peace like I had. That day came and we made the trip to the clinic. 

God has been so good to me in the year 2011, because of this treatment I no longer use a wheelchair, am able to drive again, don’t need all those medicines just to exist.  Ninety percent of my symptoms are gone and I am able to live a near normal life.  Am I cured NO but I will take how I am now any day over the way I was.  I have often though of Paul in the New Testament who was afflicted with a medical problem.  God didn’t cure him either, just to make sure he didn’t forget, but God used him in a mighty way.  I am no Paul, but I believe God has some great plans for us in the next few years.  

We started volunteering at two different Christian ministries within seven months of my starting treatment.  We are regulars there now and plan to build a home near them so we can be of more help to them. 

I now work even more to get the word out that there is life after fibro.  I was told that I was the worse case that this group of clinics had ever seen.  Yet with God’s help I made so much progress in a very short time.  They made sure that anyone from the home office saw me when they were in town.  I have had the opportunity to meet and talk to some wonderful people because of this.  Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum has been a driving force in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue treatment for many years.  He developed the SHINE protocol (see earlier post or articles on my site for more info).  He has helped me create my website (recoveryfromfibro.com) so I can help others with these chronic illnesses.  Because Dr. Teitelbaum has suffered with chronic fatigue he does understand what we have gone through.  He is now the medical director for Chronicity Inc. (the group of clinics that I went to).  He spends his time teaching other doctors how to treat these chronic illnesses and doing research into the treatment of fibro and chronic fatigue. 

There is life after fibro/cfs and with some effort on your part you don’t have to see your health deteriorate like mine did.

God Bless you
Jerry

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your story, I also have fibro. and cf, though not as badly as you once did. I will look into all of your links, thank you again and God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the part of your article that hits home the most for me because it was and still is so painful. People would say "There's nothing like family" and "Great friends are a wonderful thing"... both always there for you. But, it didn't turn out to be true for me and I didn't understand why and why God would leave me feeling so alone. But, through faith and love of my husband and two children I've been able to stay strong. It is always a struggle and looking back on the past hurts but Jerry you've helped me so much. Faith in God has brought so much light to my life now. Thank you for this article jerry. This is the part that really hits home for me:

    "It’s really hard when family and friends don’t understand and are not willing to help in any way.
    Depression is a big part of any chronic illness and when you are ignored by those you need most it hurts in many ways. I have to admit when the pain got overwhelming I did consider ending my life several times, but my faith in God and my love for my family keep me going. I have chatted with lots of others over the years encouraging them, even when I didn’t have any hope of feeling better. I have had over a dozen people tell me that just being there for them keep them from taking their lives."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story Jerry. I suffer from fibromyalgia and it is a daily struggle to cope with my pain. It is amazing that God has given you the strength to cope with fm and cf. I wanted to share a website I found that has been very helpful for coping with my pain, http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-pain. I hope this is a help for people looking to coping with their fm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry is your story for real? I don't mean to be a doubter but I'm on so many medications and the fatigue is overwhelming. I have not driven since last April. Does this sound about right first comes heart palpatations then the weakness and fatigue the pain anxiety not sleeping and then depression and wow the social anxiety now and perceived threats and yes the chest tightness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DONE FOR MY DAUGHTER?
    My daughter suffered from fibromyalgia for more than 12 years which we started experiencing in her when she turned 8 year and 5 months we all thought it will end but got even worse as days went by. We tried all several treatments and therapy prescribed by various doctors we met but to no avail, she always complain of joint stiffness, and have difficulty falling asleep. She usually tells me she feeling tired. This were steady disorder that disrupted her entire life, even at night she slept less because of this.It was during a casual conversation with a friend that i learned about Dr Williams herbal medicine I was able to contact him on his email address. and give him all the necessary information that he needed,few day later he sent me the herbal portion and his medicine was able to restore her back to normal and she is very okay now without any side effects whatsoever. If you have fibromyalgia, do not hesitate to contact him on drwilliams098765@gmail.com for advice and for his product. I hope this also helps someone out there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete